Thursday, April 24, 2008

Get the Garden Started.


This will be my 5th year of doing a garden. Each year I have learned more and more. What works, what doesn't. New for this year, I've installed a new sprinkler system for the garden and added a couple of new plants to the wish list. We like to make our own salsa from the garden so this year's crop focuses on those ingredients. I've already planted the garlic, onions and cilantro and will probably have to do another crop of them in the fall. There are also about 20 Tabasco and pepper plants growing in my basement that I started from seeds a few weeks ago. In a couple of weeks after the threat of frost has passed I'll move all the peppers and get the tomatoes started. Also on the menu this year are a ton strawberries, blueberries and cherries. I may not get any blueberries or cherries this year as those plants are still very young. I'm always gung-ho on the garden in the spring, but my enthusiasm usually wanes mid-summer when the weeds get out of control.


No comments: